1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before? I got laid off, spent a month unemployed and got a new job. I live with my significant other. I flew with a non-family member, went to the East Coast and spent Christmas not with my family for the first time. I shot a gun, had my first attempted break-in and had Greek food for the first time. In fact, Bill being in my life has brought in a lot of firsts : )
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Let’s look back, shall we?
- Go one new place a week. Maybe? With Bill this was a lot easier because then I didn’t have to be such a chicken-baby.
- Make/cook/bake one new thing a week. Also possible. I did bake a LOT.
- Stick with my workout. HAHAHA. No.
- Find a church home. Also, no. I liked Grace Presbyterian, but I didn’t get very attached to it so when Bill and I started dating I got off-track. This is what I get for dating a heathen…
- Be cheery again. Major yes! 2010 was a wonderful year and, for the most part, I was a much cheerier Manck : )
As for making resolutions for 2011, I haven’t made any formal ones but I’m trying to focus on having positive environments, i.e. keeping the apartment clean and nice-looking, doing the maintenance to keep my relationships healthy, and pursuing things that make me happy : )
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? While I’m not super-close to my niece, she had her daughter the day before I turned 23. And I love that little chunky Manckbaby!
4. Did anyone close to you die? I will feel like a jerk if someone close to me DID die and I forgot, but I don’t think anyone did. Hooray!
5. What countries did you visit? After going to at least one country a year for 4 straight years, 2010 I didn’t get to go anywhere. Sad panda. Mom brought us back lots from Australia though : )
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010? What a greedy question.. big girl boots, maybe? Though my galoshes are kicking ASS
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? February 20: Bill and I’s official anniversary, January 28: My first interview at Biotics
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? This might sound terrible, but it’s kind of that I replaced my predecessor at my current job. And also that I’ve been here for almost a year!
9. What was your biggest failure? This might not be in the spirit of the question, but that giant freaking cupcake was a GIANT failure.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I finally figured out that CUMIN is what makes my intestines so angry, so my suffering has actually decreased a bit though I miss taco seasoning and Niko’s seasoned fries. I also had a sinus infection.
11. What was the best thing you bought? I didn’t buy it, but my mixer is AMAZING. I’m going to say that investing in our trips up to Springfield and Delmar were the best money we spent.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Stef! She is growing up into one of the people I am the proudest to know. She’s a successful, accomplished, organized mentor to the younger kids in the department and she’s been great about keeping in touch with me when I’m an awful friend.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and/or depressed? At first I couldn’t think of anything.. but then I remembered the bed debacle. Freaking Ankur… 😡
14. Where did most of your money go? Rent, gas.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Springfield! Living with my boys! Galoshes! My job!
16. What song will always remind you of 2010? Anywhere in Texas by Kyle Park, F*** You by Ceelo
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier, all the way!
b) thinner or fatter? Despite what I assumed, I think I’ve actually lost some weight. Maybe it’s redistributing or something..
c) richer or poorer? About the same? Our costs have gone up, but we’re sticking with the budget and saving really well.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Crafting, baking, reading
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying, worrying, worrying.
20. How did you spend Christmas? With the Whites in Delmar. It was fantastic!
21. Did you fall in love in 2010? Hells. To. The. Yes. I love you Bill!
22. What was your favorite TV program? 30 Rock! (Also Bones, Big Bang, Castle)
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Hate is an awful word and most of the super-negative feelings I had this time last year, namely at my ex-employers, have faded. Good for me.
24. What was the best book you read? Last Christmas my mom got me all 9 books of Amber in one volume and it’s been great to read them all again. I also loved The Girl with No Shadow, Ahab’s Wife and The Shadow of the Wind.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Kyle Park (thank you Bill) and Pink Martini on Pandora for when I’m at work.
26. What did you want and get? MY MIXER!!!! Also, my job.
27. What did you want and not get? My life is pretty freaking fantastic. Don’t really need for anything 😉
28. What was your favorite film of this year? Is it bad that Predators was my favorite? It’s the first one that came to mind in any case.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 23 in 2010 and spent it with Bill. That was a great day because it was the day he told me he loved me. Then I skipped work the next day so we could window-shop and it was swell 🙂
30. What is one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Doubling my salary? Kidding, kind of. Like I said, this was a terribly satisfying year.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010? Cardigans.
32. What kept you sane? My boyfriend, the pets, my job, baking, and frequent visits to Springfield.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? …Jews. They count as public figures, right?
34. What political issue stirred you the most? This is the first year I ever really stirred about any politicalness. And that is all Bill’s fault.
35. Who did you miss? Beffie, Bert, Little Casino, Amo, Audra, Jannabelle, etc.
36. Who was the best new person you met? Well, Bill. Duh. But also, my boss! And I love Bill’s friends, they’re pretty awesome too.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010. Right now will never be what used to be. Moving on isn’t bad, growing is important.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Trust your heart, lay it on the line. -Kyle Park