I made these cupcakes last night for my boss’ birthday and they turned out so well I wanted to share them. The cake recipe is based on the Favorite Fudge Birthday Cake from King Arthur Flour and the frosting recipe I made up myself, based on a lot of practice with buttercream over the past few years! Forewarning, the frosting is (of course) very sweet, but it’s also nice and fluffy. Bill couldn’t stop eating it last night!
Chocolate-Heath Cupcakes (makes 24)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder (optional, but wonderful)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup Heath toffee bits
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tins with liners.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs, oil, and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- Gradually add the water, beating until smooth. Mix in toffee bits.
- Pour the batter into lined cupcake tins, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Cocoa-Caramel-Toffee Frosting (a Manckwhite Original!)
- 2 cups butter (very, very soft)
- 1 cup shortening
- pinch of salt
- 6 cups powdered sugar (approx.)
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup Heath toffee bits
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce (or squeezable dulce de leche)
- Combine butter, shortening and salt in mixer bowl. Beat until well-combined and fluffy.
- Add cocoa, begin mixing on low, adding powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency. Beat on med-high to make really fluffy : )
- Drizzle in caramel sauce as you run the mixer on low. Add Heath toffee bits.
Top with caramel drizzle and more toffee bits!