I made these bacon-spinach-tomato couscous cups for dinner last night, and they were a hit! The recipe is based on Iowa Girl Eats Mini BLT Quinoa Cups, adapted to fit Manckwhite tastes and pantry contents. These little suckers are savory and delicious; they take a little work between frying bacon, making couscous and baking the whole shebang, but I think they’re worth it : )
Also, make sure to check out the whole Iowa Girl Eats blog and recipe repertoire! She has wonderful healthy (and not so healthy) recipes that are easy to make, adapt and enjoy. Kristin’s Friday Favorites are a great resource for food, travel and fashion eye candy, too.
Mini BLT Couscous Cups (makes 30 mini cups)
- 1 box couscous mix (we got ours from HEB), prepared to box directions
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed completely dry
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6-8 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare couscous to box directions and set aside.
- Fry or bake bacon until very crispy. Crumble into bits and set aside.
- Combine eggs, egg whites, spinach, cheeses, bacon, and tomatoes in a large bowl. Add couscous and stir well to combine.
- Spray 2 mini-muffin tins with nonstick spray, then fill each cup to the top with the mixture, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then pop out with a butter knife. Cool completely on a cooling rack. Store in the refrigerator, or freeze then reheat by microwaving for 30 seconds.
The combination of eggs,cheese and bacon makes the taste of these cups is a little quiche-y, which means they are great for brunch OR dinner. I’m having our leftovers for lunch today (and probably tomorrow as well).