One of the recipes I was most excited to make this week was Pork Potstickers based on this recipe for Homemade Dumplings from Chic n’ Cheap Living. These little pockets of goodness take a little work since you have to make the dough, then the filling, then assemble, then cook, but they’re so, so tasty and making a dish you usually have to buy either frozen or from a restaurant is a fun novelty as well. The Mancktastic version of Pork Potstickers are a little more hearty than commercial potstickers, which Bill and I both love. The filling is savory and flavorful, the dough is plump and the sesame seed oil + steaming finish makes a great crisp bottom.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 inch ginger (minced)
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2.5 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- additional water for steaming
- Combine flour, water, canola oil and ½ tablespoon salt in a large bowl and mix throughly until it forms a well-incorporated dough.
- Knead dough for 5-10 minutes until it’s smooth.
- Roll kneaded dough into a large bowl and cover to keep moist.
- In a large bowl, combine ground pork, shredded cabbage, sesame oil, ginger, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, and rice wine vinegar. Set this mixture aside.
- Grab a piece of dough about the size of a golf ball. Use a rolling pin to roll the ball out to a circle 3″ in diameter.
- Place slightly less than a tablespoon of the meat mixture into the center of the dough circle.
- Close the dumpling into a half circle and pinch shut. Set aside your completed dumpling on a tray.
- Repeat steps 5-7 to make the rest of your batch of dumplings.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon sesame oil. When oil is hot, add dumplings, arranging them in a circular pattern.
- Pour in ¼ cup water and allow water to steam off. Pour in ¹/3 cup water and cover skillet. Cook for 7 minutes. Enjoy dumplings!
If you don’t feel like Pork Potstickers, it’s easy-peasy to swap out the pork for chicken or even turkey! You could also add garlic, carrots or any other filling that would make for a happy tummy : )