Sometimes you need a nice punch of Asian flavors after a long day, which is when the takeout menu usually calls your name. But even though we’ve lived in our apartment for going on 3 years, Bill and I haven’t found a good place for cheap and easy Chinese takeout yet. In steps Beef with Broccoli, based on a recipe from Framed Cooks. This is a quick and easy recipe that comes together in 15 minutes and just one skillet! The sauce is nice and savory, with delicious steamed broccoli that soaks in all the goodness.
Beef with Broccoli
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound stir-fry style beef (in strips)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine salt and 1 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch in a large zip-top bag; add beef and toss to coat well.
- Heat sesame oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is heated, add beef and stir-fry until cooked through. Remove beef from skillet and set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth to the skillet and stir to incorporate any leftover beef bits on the bottom.
- Add broccoli to skillet, cover and steam for 3 minutes, or until the broccoli is crisp-tender and bright green.
- Remove cover and add garlic, ginger and pepper. Mix skillet well while cooking for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch and water and stir until well-blended. Add to the skillet and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Return beef strips to the pan and cook for 1 additional minute. Toss all ingredients in pan so they are well-coated with sauce.
- Serve over rice or fried noodles.
This was a great recipe to throw together after a long day at work since it came together quickly and with very little mess. And, since it’s made at home instead of at the mall food court, you don’t have to worry about MSG or random preservatives!