Rather than braving the weather to pay for a Tex-Mex meal at a restaurant, stay home and warm with this recipe which will keep your tummy full and your mouth warm with Mexican spices, hearty pasta and melty cheese! Based on the Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Pasta from Tasty Kitchen, Cheesy Beef Enchilasta is equal parts casserole, enchilada and awesome! A quick and delicious sauce is lavished over pasta and ground beef and topped with cheese, leaving you with a wonderfully melty and filling dish that’ll send you back for more. I’m actually bummed out that I’m not having leftovers today since we’re going out for Christmas lunch at work.
Cheesy Beef Enchilasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 14 ounces mild enchilada sauce
- 14 ounces medium enchilada sauce
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1½ cups Mexican Blend Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook ground beef in skillet over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Drain off fat and set meat aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta for just over half of the recommended cooking time. (The pasta will finish cooking in the oven, so you want it quite al dente.)
- Drain pasta and pour into casserole dish. Add beef to the dish and stir well.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add flour and whisk until well combined. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add enchilada sauce to the butter mixture in saucepan and whisk mixture until thick and bubbly. Add the cream cheese and stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour sauce over the pasta and beef, then mix until very well combined. Top with cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
This filling pasta dish is a great Mexican treat with a slightly spicy kick and delicious, chewy cheese. This recipe makes a HUGE amount of food, especially since it’s so filling!