Whenever Bill has to miss school for illness, lacrosse or other events, I try to bake something for the other teachers at school that have to cover his classes to thank them. Since he was out two days when he had pneumonia, the other language teachers got Coffee Cake Muffins this Monday morning.
Based on a recipe from Wit + Delight, these muffins are packed with cinnamon-streusely topping, which every one knows is the best part! I used Greek yogurt in the batter since it’s what I had on hand and I think the tang and honey of the yogurt made the muffins extra delicious. I was told the other teachers kept emailing Bill throughout the day to tell him how much they liked the muffins, so I think they turned out well! I recommend you make these tonight or first thing tomorrow morning to enjoy them as a weekend breakfast treat : )
Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plain or honey Greek yogurt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 stick chilled unsalted butter
- Stir together brown sugar, 1 cup flour, and salt. Cut in chilled butter until mixture resembles large coarse crumbs and set this streusel mixture aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners or non-stick spray.
- Whisk together remaining flour with baking powder and baking soda; set aside.Beat together butter, yogurt, granulated sugar, and vanilla in mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, until well combined. With mixer on low, beat flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Distribute half of the batter among the muffin cups, then half of the streusel topping. Repeat with remaining batter and streusel. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Who doesn’t love portable, personal coffeecakes in the morning? These yummy muffins are both studded throughout with delicious streusel and topped with it for maximum brown sugar and cinnamon consumption. Enjoy warm out of the oven or as a morning treat the next day.