Our preferred grocery store, HEB, makes a wonderful in-store Italian sausage that I love using in our dinners, so I’m always on the lookout for recipes I can incorporate it in. This week’s winner was Pizza Burgers, based on the recipe from The Pioneer Woman; with it I was not only able to use our favorite Italian sausage, but also the tiny pepperoni I had leftover from the Pepperoni Pizza Puffs last week!
I’m pleased to say that these were a hit! Rather than just a typical burger with Italian toppings, this recipe takes it even further by incorporating both Italian sausage and seasoning in the main meat mixture, plus melty, delicious mozzarella cheese and itsy bitsy pepperonis. All of this combines to make a dense, meaty burger with fantastic flavors throughout. I recommend you make smaller than average burgers when you’re cooking them up to counterbalance the richness and thickness. These would be great for tailgating or the Super Bowl this weekend; enjoy!
- 1½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound Italian sausage
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup mini pepperonis
- 8 Tablespoons pizza sauce
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium or medium-high heat.
- Combine ground beef, sausage and Italian seasoning in a bowl, then form into your desired size patties.
- Place the patties on grill/grill plan, cook for 5 minutes on one side, then flip.
- Top each burger with one slice of cheese, ¼ cup mini pepperonis, then the other slice of cheese. Allow the burger to cook through while the cheese melts.
- Top each burger with pizza sauce and serve on burger buns if desired.
These burgers are a delicious treat with the spices and italian sausage throughout. The cheese melts and melds with the other flavors as the burger cooks and the tiny pepperoni are little pops of pizza flavor. The pizza sauce completes this delicious mix of pizza and burger!