It’s back to Italian here on Mancktastic for a delicious dinner with familiar flavors and a fun form! This recipe mixes together the ideas behind many Italian stand-bys into a new and tasty dish. Thin chicken cutlets are filled with a delicious cheese filling, then rolled up and breaded, and finally baked, topped with more cheese and pasta sauce. The breaded chicken is reminiscent of Chicken Parmesan, while the filling is very lasagna-esque, which makes for a great combination.
- 4 thin chicken cutlets
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten, divided
- 6 Tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup favorite pasta sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Combine breadcrumbs and 2 Tablespoons parmesan in one bowl and place ½ egg in another.
- Combine 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, remaining parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, and remaining egg.
- Lay chicken cutlets down on a working surface and ¼ of the cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one and keep seam side down.
- Dip rolls in egg mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down in a baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from oven, top with sauce and remaining mozzarella.
- Return dish to the oven and bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 more minutes.
Combining the flavors of lasagna and chicken parmesan, this is a tasty Italian treat that’s a nice twist on the classics. You can slim down the recipe by using low-fat cheeses, or add a little greenery to your meal by adding 5 ounces cooked/frozen spinach to the filling.
Based on a recipe from Skinny Taste