Deep, rich and fudgy cupcakes, covered with a heap of sweetened coconut, almonds and pecans held together with an almost custardy sauce; who doesn’t love that? I know some folks aren’t a fan of coconut, but this delicious frosting may make some converts out of unbelievers!
While I made these cupcakes for a coworker, German Chocolate cake has always held an especially funny place in the Manck family history…
Ever since my parents were married, Mom has made Dad a German Chocolate cake for his birthday every August. Even though Daddy’s never been a big fan of chocolate, Mom knew that German Chocolate cake had been his favorite when he was a little boy, so she made him a cake heaped high with the coconutty frosting every year. After about 20 years of noticing Dad never ate much of his specially prepared birthday cake, Mom finally asked what the deal was…
Turns out, Daddy doesn’t really care for German Chocolate cake, unless it was the special kind the housekeeper used to make when he was a kiddo!
Thankfully, everyone had a good laugh (at least that’s how I remember it, sorry if you had hurt feelings, Mom!) and now Daddy gets his real favorite, cherry cream pie, for his birthday every year : )
I used my favorite fudgy cake recipe for the base of these cupcakes, with extra-dark chocolate cocoa of course, and then made this quick and tasty frosting on the stove top as they baked. The frosting may look impressive, but it’s super-quick and easy to make!
German Chocolate Frosting
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 5/8 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup blanched, sliced almonds
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the milk, sugar, egg yolks, extracts and salt with a wooden spoon. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, stir and simmer 5 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in the coconut, pecans and almonds. Allow to cool at least one hour before using.