It’s time for another recipe from slightly questionable literary providence… I found this recipe in an ad within Real Simple magazine and gravitated towards it because a) it looked delicious and b) I had a package of garlic and rosemary chicken sausage languishing in the freezer that needed used. We had all of the other ingredients on hand, so this week we delved into the Mediterranean for dinner!
I just love the flavors in this easy skillet: fresh pops from the grapes, savory herbal tones from the basmati rice and spices, hearty rich flavors from the chicken sausage plus the creamy, almost-cheesey taste from the simple addition of Greek yogurt. This is one delicious, lean and healthy dinner!
Mediterranean Chicken Sausage Skillet
- 12 ounces chicken sausage, cut into 1/2″ slices
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon sage, ground
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup almonds, slivered
- 1 cup red grapes, quartered
- In a large saute pan, sauté oil and garlic for 3-5 minutes. Add the sausage slices to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes, or until sausage is cooked and warmed through.
- Add rice, broth and sage to the pan and simmer 3-4 minutes. Add yogurt to the pan and stir well to coat, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Season dish with salt and pepper. Fold in grapes and almonds.