So often, every recipe for Mexican food you run across is chockful of tortillas, refried beans and other delicious goods that we should probably try to enjoy in moderation. Enchiladas, tacos, burritos: all delicious and all tortilla-dependent!
That’s why I was so happy to come across this simple rice-based recipe for a tasty Mexican casserole-type entree on Tasty Kitchen. I made a few substitutions based on what I had handy in the kitchen and wound up with a tasty, easy weeknight dinner that we all loved.
Chicken and rice are cooked beforehand, then combined with lean and healthy ingredients to make a wonderfully flavorful dish. The yogurt helps meld all the flavors together while keeping the whole dish moist and delicious. With a triple wallop of protein from the black beans, chicken and Greek yogurt, this meal will fill you up without weighing you down. It’s perfect for a night when your busy family needs fuel!
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake
- 2 cups chicken pieces, cut into 1″ pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked long-grain rice
- ¾ cups frozen corn
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup salsa
- ¼ cup taco sauce
- 1½ cups Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 350◦ F.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste and sauté until cooked through.
- In a large oven-safe dish, combine chicken, rice, corn, black beans, sour cream, salsa, taco sauce and 1 cup Mexican cheese and mix thoroughly to combine. Make sure the yogurt and cheese are stirred in throughout the entire bowl. Top with the reserved ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
adapted from from Tasty Kitchen