Happy Friday, everyone! I hope that your workday ends quickly, but your weekend is as long as you need it be : ) Today, I’m pleased to share one of my own recipe creations: a simple dish from Bill and I’s early days of dating when we had much more love than money. You can think of Easy-Peasy Fried Noodles as the lovechild of Fried Rice and Chow Mein, a tasty, saucy dish that’s both fool-proof and easy to customize for your family’s tastes!
We start with a large skillet over medium heat and about a Tablespoon sesame oil. The sesame oil adds a great, savory flavor to the whole dish while making your kitchen smell amazing! You can also use wok oil, which has a rich garlicky flavor, with in combination with or as a replacement for the sesame oil. As the oil heats up in the skillet, mince 2 cloves of fresh garlic and a 1″ piece of fresh ginger. Add the minced pieces to the skillet and sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until softened and fragrant. Once your garlic and ginger are softened, add the cooked spaghetti noodles to the pan and toss to coat with oil. Cook, stirring every 30 seconds or so, for 2-3 minutes. Add frozen peas to the skillet and cook for an additional minute. At this point you can also add other veggies of your choice or pre-cooked meats like chicken tenders or shrimp.
Now is when we add the fun bits to the dish! First, crack an egg right in the middle of the pan and quickly stir throughout the noodles so they all get coated as the egg cooks. Then, add ¼ cup each of low-sodium soy sauce and oyster sauce to the pan and stir to coat the noodles once again. This combination of sauces gives you a deep, savory and sweet flavor that has a great earthy note as well. Cook this mixture all together for 1 minute or until nice and sizzly-sounding. Remove from the heat and serve immediately. You can top with sesame seeds, chopped scallions or additional sauce.
Easy-Peasy Fried Noodles
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1″ piece of ginger, minced or grated
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of sesame oil in a large skillet on medium heat. When oil is heated, add garlic and ginger to the skillet and cook until softened and fragrant.
- Add cooked spaghetti noodles to the pan and toss to coat well with oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add frozen peas to the skillet and cook for an additional minute.
- Crack an egg into the skillet and quickly stir through the noodles, tossing until the egg is thoroughly cooked.
- Add ¼ cup each of low-sodium soy sauce and oyster sauce to the pan and stir to coat the noodles. Cook this mixture for 1 minute, or until nice and sizzly-sounding. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.