This is one of those kismet dishes that came perfectly based on impulse purchases at the grocery store last week. When I saw fresh smoked mozzarella in the cheese case, I knew it needed to come home in our cart. The little bundle of goodness came to rest next to the pizza dough I’d grabbed from the freezer case, and a light bulb went off above my head! Smoked mozzarella… pizza?! The more traditional route would’ve taken me straight to the tomato sauces for a base, but I took a simple, more flatbread-ish approach for this tasty dish.
Smoked Mozzarella and Balsamic Pizza only takes 4 ingredients, but has a really gourmet taste to impress your family and friends. Yeasty pizza dough is topped with smoky, savory mozzarella slices and then drizzled with a thick, decadent balsamic vinegar reduction. The distinct smokiness of the mozzarella melts into the robust, sweet reduction for a distinct and delicious combination of flavors.
Smoked Mozzarella and Balsamic Pizza
- 1 batch pizza dough of your choice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup smoked mozzarella, sliced thin
- Follow the instructions on your pizza dough for it to rise/defrost. Preheat oven to temperature indicated for your pizza dough.
- Heat balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until syrup-like in thickness. Turn burner down to low and keep vinegar on low until ready to use.
- Brush olive oil all over the bottom of a pizza pan. Spread pizza dough to fit the pizza pan. Cover with slices of smoked mozzarella.
- Bake pizza in oven for the amount of time recommended for your pizza dough.
- Remove cooked pizza from the oven and drizzle with balsamic reduction.