These cookies are one of those baking miracles that occasionally happen. Let’s say you suddenly remember you want to make cookies for your husband’s co-workers one evening after work, but didn’t prepare at all and don’t really have an idea in mind. So, you comb through your Evernote “Cookies” notebook, looking for something you can make with what you have in the house.
You stumble upon Toffee Crunch Cookies from Shugary Sweets, a recipe you saved years ago and completely forgot about. The ingredient list looks a little intense and random, but behold! the pantry contains everything you need. Plus, your husband loves toffee. The cookies come together quickly, only dirtying one bowl, which your dishes-hating self loves.
So, you make the cookies as he attends some weird coaches’ training and are shocked to discover, upon removing the cookies from the oven, that they taste NOTHING like toffee. But they are delicious! A renaming is in order as you nom your delicious cookie, crunchy with rice crisps, hearty with oats, and chockful of little baby marshmallows and chocolate chips.
Well.. duh! They must be s’more crunch cookies! All of the delicious flavors of the fireside treat, plus the crunch and heartiness you remember from the elementary school’s cowboy cookies, and a side of wonderful, ooey, gooey baked goodness.
Take them to your husband’s co-workers. They will love you, they will be impressed. Take them to your co-workers. They will love them, they will demand the recipe 🙂
S’mores Crunch Cookies
(makes approximately 28 medium cookies, or two cookie sheets worth)
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening (or another stick of butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 Tablespoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 1-¼ cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- I think that pecans or walnuts would be delish as a mix-in too. Customize the shiz out of them!
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with a silpat or parchement paper.
- In your mixer bowl, beat butter, shortetning, sugar, and brown sugar together on medium until light and fluffy.
- While the beater runs on low, add eggs one at a time, then add almond extract.
- Add flour, baking soda and baking powder to mixer bowl, then beat on medium until well-combined.
- Remove bowl from mixer, and fold oats, Rice Krispies, chocolate chips and marshmallows with a spatula until everything is well distributed.
- Roll batter into 1-2 Tablespoon balls, and place on cookie sheets, 1-2” apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until centers are set.
- Cool on the cookie sheets for 5-10 minutes, then enjoy!
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
Based on a recipe from Shugary Sweets