Tuesday was a really odd day for me.
My post-work day had an in auspicious start when… I almost got hit by a car! Like legit, it came to a screeching stop just a few feet from me.
So, when I got home, I decided a nice adult beverage was in order. After pawing about the fridge, I discovered a few yummy looking ingredients, and went about whipping up something tasty with pomegranate juice, bourbon, liqueur and club soda to make it nice, fizzy and refreshing.
Unfortunately… that didn’t go well either. Pro tip: don’t use a blender bottle as a booze shaker, particularly when you’re mixing carbonated beverages!
That would be our kitchen walls above the cabinets, as well as the ceiling, just coated with fizzy, sugary, juicy beverage.
Fortunately, though, the drink turned out delicious, and I got a little tipsy waiting for the day to finally end.
Now I present to you… The Fizzy Pomegranate!
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 shot pomegranate liqueur (We love Pomecello)
- 3 shots bourbon or whiskey (I used Neversweat, but we also love Gentleman Jack!)
- 24 oz seltzer or club soda
- Combine pomegranate juice, pomegranate liqueur, and bourbon in a shaker with ice.
- Shake it up until well-combined!
- Combine shaken combination with seltzer and serve over ice.
Makes 4 8 oz. drinks
Friends! We’re back in the world of recipes, and I’m bringing you a boozy doozy 🙂
Bill’s dungeon-master-ing a group of fellow teachers on an adventure once a week, so I’m having college D&D flashbacks. Since the fellas can’t meet at our apartment (they’re allergic to the Finnmonster), I’m trying to be a good DM’s-wife/hostess by sending some snacks along with my boy to their meetings.
This week, I was stocked up on cooked turkey bacon from a recent household addition (did you know it’s so much better for you than normal bacon? and still tasty?), and had been in a bourbon mood, because that’s the sort of girl I am. Bourbon, bacon and chocolate go together that peanut butter and jelly, so my obvious choice was to make some delicious ‘adult’ cookies for my full-grown nerds to enjoy 😉
This is based on my very favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, with just a hint of bourbon-y goodness and some salty bacon to take it to the next level 🙂
Bourbon Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 Tablespoons bourbon (or more, to taste)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 4 slices of crispy, cooked bacon (or turkey bacon), diced
- Preheat the oven to 350◦ F.
- Cream the butter and sugars together until creamy and smooth. Add in the egg, extracts, and bourbon.
- In medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and baking soda together. Slowly mix the flour into the butter mixture, until combined.
- Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in chocolate chips and diced bacon
- Roll dough into Tablespoon-sized balls. Place on baking sheet and slightly flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown and set. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for two minutes.
Every Friday night when we go on our grocery date for the week’s vittles, I pick up a bunch of very green bananas to include in my lunches. Last Friday night, I noticed that I apparently hadn’t been in a banana mood that week since our fruit bowl held 4 brown and speckly bananas still patiently waiting to be consumed. Like any good baker, I immediately knew I needed to make a banana bread… maybe even banana bread with a twist!
I started with a recipe from Sea Salt with Food but then added a few Manckwhite favorites, such as Greek yogurt and (of course) bourbon! What resulted was a moist, flavorful bread that I had to hide from myself before I ate the whole loaf 😉 Yummy banana mixes with the swirl of chocolate and is capped by a hint of bourbon in this slightly sinful way to start to your day. I recommend you enjoy this baked delight warm, with a cup of milk.
Bourbon-Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1½ cup flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¹/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons Greek yogurt
- ½ cup chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Spray a 1½-quart loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda, and set aside.
- Mix the mashed bananas, brown sugar, butter, bourbon, vanilla extract, egg and yogurt in a large bowl until well-combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour the melted chocolate into the mixture and lightly fold in 5 times.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour, or until the top of the bread is golden brown and springs back when you press it in the middle. Let the bread cool for 10 minutes, then enjoy!
This quick bread is soft, moist and filled with delicious treats! The chocolate goes very well with the banana flavor, and neither are overpowered by the little hint of bourbon in the bread. Feel free to leave out or replace the bourbon with another liquor.
Click here to download a PDF of this recipe!